Sonntag, 19. August 2012

From Final Cut to the Avid and back

It's August 2012 and I'm back on Final Cut Pro X again. Some of my colleagues have asked me why I took this decision. They're quite surprised because I was complaining about FCPX from the day it was released.

I have certain requirements, which include importing footage from my camera, taking the project to Pro Tools, external A/V monitoring, a more or less stable software (without corrupted projects) etc.

Recently, I decided to give FCPX one more try.

• XML / AAF export to Pro Tools is working now via X2Pro Audio Convert.
I am sorry, the audio portion of Final Cut Pro X might be nicer than any other NLE, but it still does not fulfill my requirements for audio postproduction.

• XML to EDL export via EDL-X
This is a definitive requirement, not only to have a list representation of the project in case things go really wrong, but also as a source / destination timecode reference for clients.

• Stability & safety
With MC6, I had a couple of really big issues lately. Quirks in the AMA workflow, MXF Long GOP errors, export bugs, stalls etc. Now that FCPX reached 10.0.5, it seems to be a much more stable platform to me. 
I was using (more or less "trying out") FCPX until 10.0.2, and I had horrible experiences in regards to corrupted projects and general stalls. Nowadays, a backup version of the project is created every 15 minutes within the folder, so these issues (hopefully) belong to the past. In the last 2 weeks of (intense) editing, I encountered no bad surprises. 

• Easier use of the software on multiple machines
I now have 2 MacBooks and 1 Mac Pro, and I am using all of them for work depending on the situation. It is really NOT quite funny to transfer the Avid license via internet every time I switch computers. 

• Updates via App Store
Some of the applications, at least the main one and the two XML transfer programs, were purchased via the Apple's own App Store, so once a new version is released, it immediately shows up. While some people don't like this idea, I am definitely of the opinion that updating via the App Store is much less hassle and less time consuming than wasting time poking around Avid's web site to find the latest Media Composer patch that might (or might not) solve your problems. 

• Always up-to-date with the latest version of OSX
There is nothing more disturbing than to constantly take care whether the latest version of OSX (which might include required OS bug-fixes I have been longing for) is really compatible with the latest version of your software (or vice-versa). 

• Importer plug-in for Canon MXF
I own a Canon XF305, and ever since they released an appropriate plug-in for FCPX (I guess they did that in February 2012 but back then I was already shooting a documentary in Indonesia), I can import my footage without round tripping to FCP7. Less time consuming, less of a show-stopper. 

Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks
I am a big fan of Magic Bullet Looks. In regards to the creative approach towards the look of a film, it is the BEST thing that ever happened to me and I simply love working with it (check out this feature on the Red Room Blog). Didn't work with FCPX for a long time, now it does. 

External A/V monitoring
I am using a Matrox MXO2mini for external monitoring. With the first versions of FCPX, that sort of monitoring was totally out of sight. Now it works. Fine. 

• Unique and innovative features
Now that the application fulfills most of my basic requirements, the innovative features really start to count in. "Sub-grouping" audiovisual information in compound clips is a great way of working, especially when also coming from an audio engineering background where sub-grouping has been a tool of the trade ever since it started. Also, the Magnetic Timeline is an incredible time-saving innovation, especially when coming back from the Avid. 
Of course, the workflow is not comparable with any other video editing application on the market. While trimming can be done quite efficiently on the keyboard, I feel most comfortable using a Magic Trackpad for all other tasks. As somebody mentioned, it's no longer a keyboard-based but touch-based workflow. Seems legit. And from now on, things can only get better.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen